Fresh fish will make these cakes taste even better. if the meat smells clean and fresh when you first open the package that is good
- 1 pound white fish
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
- Salt and pepper
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and smashed
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1. Place fish and milk in bowl, making sure fish is totally submerged. Cover and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, place ¾ cup panko in small zipper-lock bag and finely crush with rolling pin. Transfer crushed panko to 10-inch nonstick skillet and add remaining ¾ cup panko. Toast over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer panko to shallow dish and stir in ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper to taste. Wipe out skillet.
- 3. Pulse celery, onion, and garlic in food processor until finely chopped, 5 to 8 pulses, scraping down bowl as needed. Transfer vegetables to large bowl. Rinse processor bowl and blade and reserve. Melt butter in now-empty skillet over medium heat. Add chopped vegetables, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper; cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are softened and all moisture has evaporated, 4 to 6 minutes. Return vegetables to large bowl and let cool to room temperature. Rinse out pan and wipe clean.
- 4. Strain fish through fine-mesh strainer, pressing firmly to remove milk but being careful not to break up .
- 5. vegetables add mustard, hot pepper sauce, lemon juice, and Old Bay seasoning; stir until well combined. Add fish and fold gently with rubber spatula, being careful not to over mix and break up . Divide mixture into 8 balls and firmly press into 1/2-inch-thick patties. Place cakes on rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 6. Coat each cake in panko, firmly pressing to adhere crumbs to exterior. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in now-empty skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Place 4 cakes in skillet and cook without moving them until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Using 2 spatulas, carefully flip cakes, add 1 tablespoon oil, reduce heat to medium-low, and continue to cook until second side is golden brown, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer cakes to platter. Wipe out skillet and repeat with remaining 4 cakes and remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Serve immediately.